Nutrient Management

Resourceful Management Reaps Strip-Till Benefits

Relying on equipment sharing and an agronomic eye, in 4 years of strip-tilling Justin Krell has cut fertilizer use by 30% and achieved 230-bushel corn.
Justin Krell says he started strip-tilling in 2017 mainly to make better use of his time and money — both important factors considering he’s trying to expand his farm while also working full-time as an agronomist for a seed corn company.
Read More
STRIPPING_IN_COVER.jpg

Prospering from a Green and Growing Approach on Every Acre

Precise placement, intensive soil-sampling and cover crop experiments help cut New York strip-tiller Donn Branton’s fertilizer rates in half and significantly boost corn yields over 40-year career.
Precise placement, intensive soil-sampling and cover crop experiments help cut New York strip-tiller Donn Branton’s fertilizer rates in half and significantly boost corn yields over 40-year career.
Read More
anhydrous-tanks-behind-strip-till-rig.jpg

Add Flexibility to Your Operation with Strip-Till

Illinois farmer Rock Katschnig enjoys a variety of benefits from strip-till, including flexibility in an expensive fertilizer market and better planting conditions year after year.
In the 9 years since Illinois farmer Rock Katschnig first started strip-tilling, he’s seen improvements and benefits in every area of his operation — from yield increases to healthier soil to valuable time savings.
Read More
Mike-Petersen-700.jpg
Strip-Till Standpoint

Learning from the Past to Move Strip-Till Forward

With benefits that include the precision placement of nutrients, strip-till practices established in the 1970s are being pushed to greater degrees of success today.
"As a soil scientist, I really started as a 5-year-old digging underneath the ash trees on our farm, looking to see what was going on underneath the soil. When I completed the work I did for Bayer Crop Sciences in 2022, I finished 1,820 soil pits in my life. I think I have a pretty good idea of what goes on underneath the ground," Mike Petersen says.
Read More
Montag-Fall-Strip-Till.jpg

Widen Your Window with Fall Strip-Till

Position yourself for a productive planting season with these 4 fall strip-till tips.
Fall strip-till can provide a wider window for planting corn in the spring and even boost yields. When done right, it creates a clean, warmer, mellower seedbed and provides an opportunity to apply nitrogen (N) — best if used with an N stabilizer — phosphorus (P) and potassium (K).
Read More
NelsonCornSeedlingIMG_1312-copy.jpg

3 Tips for Testing Biologicals on Your Farm

Biofertilizer trials conducted by the Iowa Soybean Association have produced inconsistent results, meaning using biologicals successfully will likely require more time and management by the strip-tiller.
Biologicals are like the Wild West of agriculture — products with big potential but little regulation. As a result, it can be difficult to determine what’s a worthy investment.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

STF_Spring_2024_Cover.jpg

Strip-Till Farmer

Strip-Till Farmer delivers a mix of features on strip-till farmers, strip-till management topics and trending practices in strip-till. This FREE quarterly print newsletter is available to qualified subscribers in the U.S. and Canada. 
View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings